Look for alternative explanations
- what is the evidence for and against my thinking?
- are my thoughts accurate representations of reality, or merely interpretations?
- Am I jumping to conclusions, or using other cognitive distortions/automatic negative thoughts?
- do I need to do experiments to see if my thoughts are really true?
- are there other ways to view this situation?
- what else could this mean?
- If I were being positive how could I view this situation?
- is this situation really as bad as I think it is?
- What is the worst that could happen?
- How likely is that to happen?
- What is the best thing that could happen?
- What is more likely to happen?
- Is there anything good about this situation?
- Will this matter in 5 years time?
- is thinking this way helping me feel good or achieve my goals?
- what can I do that will help me solve the problem?
- is there something I can learn from this situation which will help me do it better next time?