Mindfulness script: Mindfulness of difficult feelings (Making emotions physical)
Intended to help you open up to difficult feelings/emotions & to view them more objectively
Mindfulness of mood and emotion
– This meditation helps you to establish distance between your mind & your emotions (including their Physical sensations) & Relate differently to your internal experience
– To do this exercise I’m going to ask you to think of a difficult person, situation or event in your life
– it Does not have to be a big thing, but it needs to bring up a feeling in your body when you think about it
– if you already have a strong feeling about a situation, event or person – then use that
– sit yourself upRight in your chair – Nice and relaxed – not too rigid
– Relax your shoulders and jaw – Relax anywhere that feels tense or stiff or sore
– Gently close your eyes & be aware of the sensation & physicality of your body
– Notice how your body feels in the chair – The points where your body touches the chair
– Notice your posture
– Notice the position of your head
– Notice how your shoulders feel
– now Scan through your entire body – From the top of your head to the tip of your toes – Notice any soreness; notice any Tension; Breathe softness into those areas of tension; Feel relaxation
– as you do, Develop a strong sense of your entire body – Sitting in the chair – in This present moment
– Now focus your awareness on your tummy as you breathe
– Notice how you breathe in and out – Notice how the tummy rises & falls in time with the breath
– Notice the physical sensations in your stomach as you breathe
– When you notice your mind drift off to other things, gently – & with compassion – bring your attention back to the meditation – To the awareness of the sensations in your stomach
– I would now like you to think about the stressful event, situation or person in your life
– Allow yourself to think about the challenging or stressful event, situation or person in your life
– Really go there in your mind
– Put yourself in the situation
– And as you do this become aware of any changes you notice in your body
– Do you notice any particular physical sensations?
– Do you notice any particular reactions? As you think about this event, situation or person in your life
– If you do you notice a particulars physical reaction or sensation in your body
– beCome aware of it as a physical sensation
– Become aware of exactly where in your body you experience this physical feeling or sensation
– Perhaps draw an imaginary line around the sensation to further pinpoint where in your body you experience this feeling
– So that you can identify – exactly – where in your body this feeling sits
– Take some time to notice – in detail – what this feeling is like
– Is the sensation felt on the surface of your body or is it deep down? Or is it both?
– What is the sensation like?
– Is it dull? Or is it sharp?
– Does it seem cold? Or does it seem hot?
– Is it a static sensation? Or does it pulse & throb?
– Simply take some time to notice how your body reacts when you think of this particular difficult person, stressful situation or challenging event in your life
– Even if the sensation is unpleasant – just notice – for a moment – what the feeling is
– Remember it is just a feeling
– It is not something you have to get rid of
– It is not something you have to fight or struggle with
– It is just a feeling
– An unpleasant feeling
– Try to stay with this feeling – just try to notice it – as if it is just for the first time you have ever noticed it this way before
– Still thinking about the stressful event, situation or person you have chosen for this mindfulness meditation
– Now try imagining that this feeling is a physical object
– This object has now popped out side of you & is now sitting gently in your lap
– If this sensation or feeling was a physical object, what shape would it take?
– What would it look like?
– What colour would it be?
– What kind of texture would the feeling have if it were suddenly a physical object outside of you?
– How heavy is the object?
– Is it hot or cold to touch?
– What does the feeling look like – if it were a physical object outside of you – and you could step back and look at it
– Now I would like you to welcome back the feeling of the object outside of you – back into your body
– And once more, notice where in your body you feel this feeling or physical sensation
– Where is it in your body exactly?
– What kind of feeling is it exactly?
– Just experience your feeling as a physical sensation or reaction – nothing more, nothing less
– Once again draw an imaginary line around the feeling so that you know exactly where you feel the physical sensation in your body
– And now shift your attention back to the sensations in your stomach as you breathe in and out
– And then expand your field of awareness from the sensations in your stomach to the sensations in your entire body
– Developing a strong sense of your entire body in the present moment
– Before opening your eyes & re-entering the room, take a moment to congratulate yourself for doing this mindfulness meditation – the purpose of which is to help you open up to difficult feelings/emotions & to view them more objectively – from a distance
– And as you re-orientate yourself
– Remember where you are
– Remember what you will see in this room
– When you open your eyes
– Now whenever you are ready open your eyes & re-enter the room.