– is concerned with strength & weakness
– is also interested in building the best things in life as it is with repairing the worst
– is interested with improving the lives of all people & nurturing high talent.
Task to try – think of your 5 highest strengths – write them down.
[Now, think of a task you dislike most – then apply your strength to that least liked task]
The happy life:
1. – the pleasant life (as many pleasures as possible; savour with mindfulness)
– 3 drawbacks (50% heritable; positive emotion habituates rapidly)
2. – the good life (engagement) – time stops (flow v’s pleasure)
– career, family – capable of flow/absorption (you are one with activity – identify signature strengths & re-craft work, love, play)
3. – the meaningful life
– know your highest strengths & gain fulfilment through pursuing meaning for others)
[nite: a full life includes all 3]
Source: MARTIN SELIGMAN: THE NEW ERA OF POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY TED Talk