Do parents really know what their children are thinking?
Headspace research reveals a disconnect between the concerns of parents for young people & what young people themselves report to be the issues they are facing.
When asked to rate 12 topical issues, parents said they were most concerned about:
2. Emotional abuse/bullying
5. Alcohol abuse
Whereas young people indicated (in a Mission Australia 2014 report):
– managing stress
– problems at school or dealing with studies
– body image.
Drugs & alcohol were among the bottom 3 concerns for young people
– adolescence can be a difficult time
– not being able to cope with every day stresses can be a sign of more serious problems
Headspace tips for parents:
– talk openly & honestly with adolescents
– let them know you are concerned
– re-assure them that you will be there for them
– ask them what they need from you
– let them know there is lots of help available
– let them know they can talk to psychologists privately
– help them attend professional services