THE SECRET LANGUAGE : McAfee (2002) [Social Skills 10]
– We all know that people talk to other people with words
– Have you ever noticed people talk with their faces, especially their eyes
– They also “talk” with their bodies & their tone of voice
– In this language, people give important messages with the expressions on their faces, the way they hold or move their body, the way their voice sounds
BELIEVE IT AND NOT THESE MESSAGES ARE JUST AS IMPORTANT AS THE WORDS WE USE WHEN WE TALK!
– In fact words can change meaning just by changing the tone of our voice or the expression on our face, or the way we hold our body
For e.g. A Boy carrying his dinner across the room & as he goes to sit down he trips & his food falls all over the – the dog quickly eats it all – his mother says “Good job, Peter.”
Was Peter’s mother complimenting him for tripping and losing his food? the answer is no!
How did Peter know – He saw his mother’s eyes roll; he heard the sarcastic tone of voice & he saw her downturned mouth.
These are Non-verbal clues – there was also a contextual clue – Peter’s mother just wanted him to eat his dinner
– the clue is to keep practicing with mum & dad reading facial expressions & body language “clues” to help figure out what people may be thinking & feeling