Psychological Interventions – PSYCHOEDUCATION [Beyond Blue]
Psychoeducation – WHAT IS IT?
– giving people information about their condition (such as Depression), it’s causes, & what to expect during recovery
– can be delivered via handouts, websites, or face-to-face by a therapist
How does it work?
– aids a person’s understanding of their problems
– provides realistic expectations about recovery
– assists people to be more accepting of their problems (which can aid in recovery by reducing anxiety & feelings of hopelessness)
Does it work?
– research supports it as being a helpful first line treatment used in conjunction with more active treatments such as CBT