Psychological Interventions – IPT [Beyond Blue]
Inter-Personal Therapy – WHAT IS IT?
– the focus is on problems in inter-personal relationships
– building skills to assist in managing these problems
– therapy is based on the belief that inter-personal problems are significantly informing the depression
– the focus is more upon relationships rather than what u going on in the sufferer’s mind
– usually treatment proceeds over a 4 to 24 week duration
How does it work?
– helps people recognise patterns in their relationships with others & which makes them vulnerable to depression
– focus is upon grief over lost relationships, expectations of relationships; giving up old olds & taking on new roles; improving skills for relating to others – all so as to improve mood
Does it work?
– good research evidence for the therapy’s efficacy with adolescents, adults & older people.
– considered an effective treatment for depression