Psychological Interventions – Bibliotherapy [Beyond Blue] (Depression)
Bibliotherapy – WHAT IS IT?
– self-help that uses books or or other information to help with depression
How does it work?
– aids a person’s understanding of their problems
– provides realistic expectations about recovery
– assists people to be more accepting of their problems (which can aid in recovery by reducing anxiety & feelings of hopelessness)
– complements active psychological interventions such as CBT
Does it work?
– two self-help books have been researched & are available to buy:
– Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy (David Burns, 1999)
– Control Your Depression (Lewinsohn, 1992)
OTHER WORKS that may prove helpful:
– Mind Over Mood: Change How You Feel By Changing The Way You Think (Greenberger & Padesky, 1995)
– Overcoming Depression: A Step-by-Step Approach to Gaining Control Over Depression (Gilbert, 2002)
– Overcoming Depression: A Five Areas Approach (Williams, 2001)