– an experience of tension or disharmony, conscious or unconscious, within different levels of a human being – bio/psycho/social/spiritual.
– not necessarily pathological, but it can become so.
Anxiety at one level can induce anxiety/distress at another level:
– generalised ANX leading o chronic pain/tension (cognitive/somatic shift)
– elevated thyroid hormone leading to panic (biological/somatic shift)
– existential angst leading to isolation (spiritual / inter-personal shift)
The key is to be aware of the primary source of anxiety/disturbance.
– use self-directed approaches such as diet, exercise, & mindfulness.
Source: PSYCHIATRY GRAND ROUNDS VIDEOCAST – THE INTEGRATIVE TREATMENT OF ANXIETY – 29/4/2009